John Jay Homestead Terrace Garden
Rusticus has planted and maintained the West Terrace Garden at John Jay Homestead since 1969. Based on a plan drawn by Mrs. Alice Ireys, the landscape architect, the garden was completed in 1976 during The Garden Club of America's Bicentennial Celebration. A restoration of the garden was needed in 1991 and Rusticus used the original 1924 garden plans as inspiration to fully restore the perennial border and foundation plantings.
By 2006, the garden was once again in need of an overhaul as plantings had either died or overgrown their spaces! Rusticus members, Kathy Moreau and Marge Sandwick, designed the new garden with deer resistant and predominantly native plants. Adding to the existing peonies, baptisia, perovskia and iris, Kathy and Marge incorporated new allium, columbine, digitalis, aconitum, salvia, nepeta, alchemilla, clematis and gaura. Annuals are added to provide additional color throughout the season. The predominate colors of the spring bloom are lavender and pink with the assistance of pale yellow as the summer wears on.
In 2010 Rusticus added new foundation planting along the length of the south-facing foundation wall. Rusticus member, Leslie Neeedham, designed the plan which consists of boxwood, Miss Kim lilacs, viburnum Burkwoodii and three varieties of peonies. In addition, a new Sargent's flowering crabapple was donated by a John Jay descendant, Judy Islin Cromwell.
Often used as the setting for private parties and weddings, the John Jay Homestead West Terrace Garden is enjoyed throughout the year by many visitors to this state-owned historical site.
Click here for 2013- 2015 photos!